by The Cardigans
If pumpkin can be transformed into a magical carriage, this Spiced Pumpkin Egg Custard Tart will surely charm your loved ones at this year’s Thanksgiving dinner.
Sorry folks, I think I’ve been watching little too much ‘Once Upon a Time’ TV series. But all corniness aside, once you have a bite of this autumn wonder drizzled with spiced Tres Leche sauce…. you will see what I mean.
For my original Spiced Pumpkin Egg Custart Tart, I am going to pair it with equally sweet and charming song from the 90’s, ‘Love Fool’ by the Cardigans. This song will make you fall in love with this dessert and make you want to bake again and again for that special someone.
Now press play on your music player, let’s get busy singing and baking magic in the kitchen!
Musichef Original Recipe
Spiced Pumpkin Egg Custard Tart with Tres Leche Sauce
Prep: 10 minutes Cooking:1hr 10 minutes Chilling: 1hr + Easy
Music Pairing : ‘Love Fool’ by The Cardigans
1 cup and ¼ cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 14oz. can evaporated milk (~410g)
1 13oz. can sweetened condensed milk (~370g)
½ 15oz. can of pumpkin
1 cup fresh milk
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract (real vanilla bean makes all the difference!)
2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
Optional garnish: honey roasted pumpkin seed (honey + pumpkin seed) roasted in the 350F oven for 5 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. Melt 1 cup of sugar in a pan over medium low heat. On top of the sugar mountain, sprinkle some ground cinnamon (about 2 tsp). Keep stirring until you get a nice caramel, immediately pour the caramel into a bakeware (I used a 10-inch pie ceramic ware) and let it evenly coat the bottom. * resist temptation to dip your finger into the caramel to taste as the melted sugar is extremely hot!
3. In a bowl, blend the eggs together. Then slowly whisk in all the milk (save about 1/4 cup of each milk in another bowl to make Tres Leche sauce later), followed by ½ can of pumpkin mix. Whisk well until well blended. Lastly, mix in the sugar, about 2 tsp. of ground cinnamon and 1 tsp. of ground cloves.
4. Pour the custard mixture into caramel coated pie pan then put it on top of 2-4 inch deep baking sheet inside an oven. We will use double boiler method. Bring a pitcher of water near the oven, then slowly fill the baking sheet with water until it comes to about 1-2inch of the pie pan.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes in the water bath and check with a knife just to the side of the center, if it comes out clean, it’s ready. (It took me 70 minutes in a small convection oven).
6. Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
7. Put it in the fridge with an aluminum foil on top and let it chill for an hour or overnight.
8. When ready to serve, make the tres leche sauce – mix the three kinds of milk and heat it up (tres leche) in a small pan with 2 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 tsp. of clove. When slightly thickened, transfer the sauce to into a small creamer pourer.
9. Use a knife and spatula to carefully transfer each slice onto a plate, drizzle some tres leche sauce on top and garnish with optional roasted honey pumpkin seeds.
10. Wait till the dinner guests fall under your charm spell.
This dessert can be made a day or two in advance
Happy baking and let me know how it turns out ☺
Tags: dessert, interesting pumpkin, interesting pumpkin dessert, musichef pumpkin, pie, pumpkin egg custard, pumpkin egg tart, pumpkin flan, spiced pumpkin tart, thanksgiving creative dessert, thanksgiving pumpking dessert